Earth Day is celebrated to inspire awareness and appreciation for Earth’s environment. And today, on April 22, 2010, Earth Day is celebrating its 40th Anniversary. It was founded by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in in 1970 and is celebrated in many countries every year on the same day.
Earth Day 2010 is a global referendum on climatic changes. This day can be a turning point to advance climate policy, renewable energy, energy efficiency and green jobs. Earth Day 2010 is pivotal opportunity for people, corporations, and governments to join together to create a global green economy.
Join people and participate in Earth Day and take action to help your Earth. Check with your local city to see how you can participate. If you’re not sure about reality of climate change science, simply celebrate the Earth and think about ways you can make adjustments in your lifestyle so future generations can enjoy clean water, air, safe food plus overall health and well-being.
There are some ways to get involved in Earth Day.
- Get neighbors and friends together for an Earth Day party. Everyone should bring a sustainable, organic dish to pass. You may supply non-throwaway dinnerware and glasses. If you can’t have party without paper plates, plastic utensils, etc., consider biodegradable single-use dinnerware. Or you can ask everyone to bring their own non-disposable place setting!
- Unplug everything and listen to birds in morning, play board games by candlelight, choose eco-friendly candles, talk about what earth means to you. Ride your bike or take a walk in nature. Take note of what you see, hear or smell. Just be yourself keeping moma earth in view.
- Join official Earth Day 2010 Campaign, galvanizing million others who make personal commitments to sustainability. You’ll learn about ways to take action for earth and can sign up for a campaign in your area–or submit an event of your own.
- Give much importance to organic products. Stores like Linens n Things, Dicks Sporting Goods, Drugstore.com, eBags are offering special discounts for every purchase on Earth Day.
- Take action for Earth throughout the year and pledge that you’ll do your best to save Earth.
However you choose to spend and celebrate Earth Day, thank you for reading this far. Ending this post with a cute poem by Lynn A. Hasselberger.